Tournament planning can be made much easier when tournament planners understand the FREE resources that are available to support their tournament planning and communications requirements. Google Hangout is a FREE service available through Google+ that allows you to meet “face-to-face” with members of your team, volunteers and the staff at the golf course… no matter where you are or where they are.
Tournament planners, by taking advantage of the Hangouts service are able to instantly meet up with people using your computer’s webcam and communicate with them in real time, which is the next best thing to meeting up in person, not to mention much more convenient.
Hangouts is a feature of Google+ and can be easily accessed by clicking on the Hangouts icon in the top-right corner of the interface. You can choose to create a new Hangout or hangout will people you have hung out with previously by selecting them from the list, or your can make yourself available to meet up should any of your team members be online.
Tournament planners can easily learn the process of starting their own Hangouts by following the four easy steps listed below:
- Got to the Google+ service and, on the right hand side of the screen, you will see the Hangouts column. You can start a new Hangout by clicking New Hangout and then inviting team members, volunteers, sponsors, players and/or golf course staff members to join you.
- Start a Video Hangout – when you have time available to meet, to let team members, tournament participants and golf course staff members know that you are free to “hang out” or meet, click on the arrow at the bottom of the column and then click on the “Start Video Hangout” button to open up a new broadcast window on your desktop.
- Post an Invitation to Meet – you have the ability to post an open invitation to meet up with anyone from your circles who whats to chat. Fill in what’s on your mind, add the names, circles or email addresses and then click “Invite.”
- All of your previous Hangouts will be listed in the Hangouts column in Google+, so you can hook up with the same group again quickly and easily by just clicking on them in the list.
To make it easier for everyone to be available for a Hangout you can add team members, volunteers, players, sponsors, participants and golf course staff members to Circles within Google+ to help you easily set up “Hangouts.” The process for adding people is as easy as 1-2-3:
- Click on New Hangout at the top of the Hangouts column and all of your current Google+ circles will be listed. Check a box and you can start a text or video chat.
- In the box at the top of the Hangouts menu, start typing in names. Google+will match them with other people on Google+, even if they aren’t currently in your circles.
- Click on the box beside a person’s name and you will add them to your Hangout. You an either send them a text message or invite them to video chat.